If you and your family are staying in hotels while on summer vacation, there is a possibility that you could inadvertently bring home unwanted guests. Bed bugs can get into your family's luggage and lead to an infestation at your home. To keep this from happening, here are some tips for dealing with bed bugs in the hotel and at home.
- Take your luggage directly to the bathroom. Bed bugs are typically found in fabrics, such as the lining of a mattress. In a tiled bathroom, there are very few hiding spots and until you have inspected your room for bed bugs, it is the safest place for your luggage.
- Inspect the bed. Using a flashlight, check the bed for signs of bed bugs. Signs that there are bed bugs include blood stains and dead bugs. You also need to check the sheets for red or brown spots.
- Check the area surrounding the bed. Bed bugs are also found in the immediate area surrounding the bed. Using your flashlight, inspect the nightstand, telephone, and any books that are nearby.
- Avoid using the dresser. Even if you have inspected the dresser, there is still a possibility that bed bugs could be lurking nearby. To keep them out of your clothes, do not use the dresser. You should instead hang your clothes. Any clothes remaining in your suitcase should be kept away from the area near the bed.
- Put your luggage in plastic bags. If you suspect that you have picked up bed bugs in the hotel, wrap your luggage in plastic or trash bags before putting them in the car. The bags can help contain the bugs and can even aid in killing them.
- Unpack outside. One of the biggest mistakes you can make when your clothing has bed bugs is to unpack it in your home. If possible, unpack the clothes in a garage.
- Wash the clothes immediately. Ideally, you should unpack one suitcase at a time. As you remove the clothes, put them in the washer immediately. The clothes need to be washed in hot water and dried on high to get rid of the bed bugs.
- Wipe everything off. Anything that is not clothing needs to be wiped off. Wiping the items off helps to ensure that you are not taking any eggs into your home.
If you believe that any bed bugs did escape and are in your home, contact a pest control specialist as soon as possible. The sooner a bed bug problem is treated, the easier it is to contain. Contact a business, such as Arab Termite and Pest Control, for more information.